Sunday, March 18, 2012

and so it begins

March 12th, 2012:

My doctor really made me mad last week, in fact the more I think about what he did, the angrier I get. After reading my lab results and seeing that my total cholesterol was 242, (under 200 is the goal, under 150 is best) and that my LDL was 146 (80 or under is the goal), he had the nurse call and set me up with a prescription for some cholesterol lowering medication. Also, he wants me to have my blood tested again in three months. That’s all. Does that sound like an adequate treatment plan to you? That’s adequate like giving someone under a falling skyscraper an umbrella is adequate. What’s missing in his plan? Oh I know! How about what I eat? Good grief!

Now I do know that I alone am responsible for what I eat, and the doctor never forced me to eat the ribs and cheeseburgers. Why oh why though, would he not want to discuss diet with me when he saw my cholesterol was so high? My glucose was not pretty either – 96, and 101 is pre diabetic – and that was not even mentioned. My weight at the check up was 227, which would be fine if I was eight feet tall. I’m not. I am six feet tall (so I like to believe, to be quite frank I’m closer to 5’11”). If I give myself the benefit of using a height and weight chart that has categories for having a small, medium, or large frame and I pick the large frame category (really I am built like a barrel), my top ideal weight would be 184. I’ll do the math for you, that’s 43 pounds overweight. Call me crazy (I kinda am) but I think that’s a problem.

The doctor of course is not the real enemy here. After all, when I went to him a few years ago and told him that my only real health issue was just a near daily desire to drive my car into oncoming traffic, resulting from spiraling downward bouts of depression, anger and general craziness, he prescribed some anti-loony meds and (mostly) I’m better in that regard. For that, I thank my doctor. The medical community, that would rather give medication and perform surgery to treat symptoms instead of addressing the core issues, is not completely to blame either. The problem in general is our culture, and in my specific case, the problem is me. I am one sick, crazy, carnivore.

2 comments:

  1. Yes Marck you are a nutter! But we still love you. Looking forward to reading more of your blogs and good luck on your lifestyle change!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! I know exactly what you are going through. I had my cholesterol checked and it was 279 and I was only 22 years old. The doctor immediately tried to write me a prescription and I told her no. I wasn't going to be on a pill for the rest of my life starting at such a young age. I didn't really know what I was doing at the time, but I did know animal products had cholesterol so I cut them out. I completely shocked my doctor when I returned and had significantly dropped my cholesterol and had lost 30 pounds. Changing my diet has been life changing! More than any little pill could do.

    ReplyDelete