Friday, March 23, 2012

Little Miss Muffett


March 23rd, 2012 (continued)

Little Miss Muffet
Sat on a tuffet,
Eating her curds and whey;
Along came a spider,
Who sat down beside her
And frightened Miss Muffet away.

Well, just call me Miss Muffet today, getting scared off by a big ol’ cholesterol spider. Here’s what happened – before the Big Diet Switch (“BDS”) of March 2012, I drank whey protein shakes after I went to the gym. After the BDS, I assumed that the whey protein shakes were fattening, since I made them with RAW WHOLE MILK (you may recall I mentioned that a new jug always had little yellow nuggets of fat floating in it), and switched to having half an almond butter sandwich, on Ezekiel 4:9 bread after the gym. After a few days of this, it occurred to me that I could make the whey protein shakes with almond milk to eliminate the dairy, and started wondering which had more fat, the whey protein or the almond butter. Turns out my little sandwich had 16 grams of fat, whereas my whey protein shake with almond milk had 3.5. That’s better, right? Also, I chuck a couple scoops of blueberries in that shake and blammo! Instant health! I think I read somewhere that blueberries are the miracle berry, staving off cancers, heart disease, etc. The Wikipedia entry on blueberries had some great pics of blueberries rescuing kittens from burning trees, and healing clubbed baby seals.

Alas, my whey protein bliss was blown asunder by a lass – Alert Reader Kassia noted the whey protein shake on my daily intake log, and commented ‘whey protein…that’s a milk product, right?’ And so it is. I had not read quite enough of the label on the whey protein container. It is in fact a dairy product, containing, of course, cholesterol. I think somehow I thought that since I bought the whey at Sprouts it was made from plants? Now I’m not sure what protein source to consume after the gym – suggestions? Snide remarks?

Here’s what I ingested today;


March 23, 2012
breakfast
big bowl of cereal, with strawberries and unsweetened almond milk
snack
very small non-dairy banana chocolate chip muffin
lunch
black bean burger with sautéed spinach and red pepper, two small seedless oranges, one Barbara's Whole Wheat Fig Bars
snack
blackberries
dinner
nachos, rice, beans
activity
sitting, walking room to room, breathing, chewing….

5 comments:

  1. Peanut butter is a great plant-based protein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard Pea Protein is good but I have never personally tried it. I would think it would be low fat and no cholesterol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making my way through your blog (via the Engine 2 post today), so I apologize if this is too old.

    It seems to me that you're getting plenty of protein already, do you really need a "protein shake"? If you really want a drink as a snack you could switch to smoothies instead. Try almond milk (or other plant milk or water or herb tea) and fruit. If you're adventurous add some greens -- spinach is a good "beginner" green smothie addition as it adds very little taste (no, really!). Here's a good one at the Fatfree Vegan Kitchen blog: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/01/toast-2-years-and-400-posts.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. We adopted a plant-based diet in 2011 and have found this items helpful. Spiru-tein, PB2 peanut butter powder, Nutiva Hemp Protein Hi Fiber, Bob's Red Mill Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal, raw cashews. Really though, we are trying to get over our obsession with protein which seems culturally induced. This is a little old and a little lengthy but I found it to be interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNCGkprGW_o If we tell people about our dietary change, they often ask, "but where do you get your protein?" Shockingly, a couple people have said things such as, "you NEED animal fat to be healthy!" and "EVERYTHING has cholesterol. See this apple? Cholesterol!" I kid you not. So, stick with it and enjoy the awesome great foods you are exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use a plant based (and no soy!) protein powder sold by Living Fuel.com. I mix mine with almond milk, banana, frozen strawberries, and a spoon of flax seed meal.
    We switched to a plant based diet in April 2012. I have 5 children too!
    This comment will leave a link to my daughter's blog, Julie, because I am not on my laptop. My name is Roan, and my blog is www.joyfuljohnsons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete